Our new favorite harvest side dish stars local ingredients Michigan Farm to Freezer® butternut squash and Spicy IPA Mustard, from Food for Thought®. A balance of savory and sweet with a tangy vinaigrette this cozy and satisfying warm salad is perfect for your holiday table.
- 1 lb (half a bag) Michigan Farm to Freezer frozen butternut squash (defrosted)
- 1 large apple, chopped 1 in. chunks
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups torn kale leaves (stemmed)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp Food for Thought Spicy IPA Mustard
- 3 Tbsp toasted hazelnuts, chopped (optional)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squash and apples with 1 tablespoon of the oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast, turning once until browned and tender, about 30 minutes.
Toss kale with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Push squash and apples to one side of baking sheet and add the kale. Return to oven and roast until wilted, about 5 minutes.
Heat the remaining oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the garlic, stirring, 30 seconds or until fragrant. Turn off heat and stir in vinegar, honey and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
Transfer vegetables to serving dish; drizzle with hot mustard dressing and sprinkle with hazelnuts, if using.