Easy Slow Cooker Carnitas
Carnitas are a classic taco filled with tender, succulent slow-cooked pork. Requiring minimal prep, the meat gently simmers while you do other things. When it's done, simply fill into warm tortillas, pile high with toppings and enjoy!
- 1 (4-5 pound) pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed, cut into 3 inch chunks
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp chipotle powder (or 1 canned chipotle in adobo finely chopped)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
Add all ingredients to a large slow cooker, and stir. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until the pork is fork tender.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pork to a large bowl, reserving the juice. Using a utensil (or your fingers), gently bread the pork into bite-sized pieces. Spoon some of the juices over to moisten.
Fill into warm tortillas and add desired toppings, including Food for Thought Cherry Fireball Salsa.
- chopped white onion
- crumbled cotija or feta cheese
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- fresh cilantro leaves
- thinly sliced jalapenos
- sliced radish
- diced avocado
- lime wedges